Monday, October 8, 2012

Cheesy Pasta Primavera

Daddy Rating: 3/4

This picture does not do it justice - this meal is fantatic!
Rich yet light, veggies, cheese, pasta all in one pot. I'm not sure if I would attempt this on a week night because it requires some attention while cooking, I got this done on a Saturday during two episodes of Wonder Pets. It makes SO much, that we have plenty left over for a dinner during the week as well. This is from my favorite Everyday Food Magazine.

Ingredients:
coarse salt and ground pepper
12 oz whole wheat fusilli (or other twisted pasta)
3 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, deced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2.5 cups whole milk
2 zucchini or yellow squash, sliced and quarterd
1 cup cherry tomatoes (I wish I used more...I love tomatoes)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1/3 cup fresh basil
Rotisserie Chicken

Cook pasta according to package instructions and save 1 cup of pasta water (I always forget to do this).

In a large pot (I used my favorite Dutch Oven) melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add flour and whisk to combine. Whisk in milk and cook on low heat, whisking frequently until simmering and thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add zucchini and cook until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in Pasta, tomatoes, Parm and basil. If it seems too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water to your desired consistency. Sprinkle with more Parm for serving. Rip up chicken and stir into bowls before serving.
Little Miss has been picky-pants lately...but she liked the CHEESE.
Enoy with a nice glass of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment