Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Super Good and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

(Daddy Rating: 5)

I don't usually make a lot of soups because my husband is more of a full, hearty meal kind of a guy. But he actually LOVED this I think it may become a staple in our house. I got this recipe out of my latest Rachel Ray Magazine, she called it "Jane Fox's Famous Tortilla Soup". This makes pretty much, you'll have enough to bring for lunch the next day.
If you don't have a Dutch Oven, I highly recommend getting one - perfect for dishes that will sit and simmer for a while which happens a lot in my house!
Ingredients:
- Corn Tortillas (or corn chips out of the bag!)
- 4 tbsp Corn Oil (I used Canola)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic (I always use the kind in a jar)
- A handful coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes (I used the fire roasted kind, yum!)
- 1 rotisserie chicken (you won't need the whole thing, you'll have plenty left for lunches/snacks)
- 2 avocados (I didn't use this)
- 2 limes cut into wedges (I skipped this, too)
- 1 small red onion (didn't do this...there's already onion in it and I'm not chopping two onions)
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and chopped (I didn't do this, there is already enough flavor)
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Cooking the spices makes the house smell sooooo good.
In a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add oil, yellow onion, garlic, cilantro, bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until spices are toasted and onion is soft (about 7 minutes or so). Add the stock, green chilies, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add however much chicken you want in the soup. I just tore it into big chunks. Reduce to a simmer until you're ready to eat!

Slice corn tortillas into strips and bake until crispy - OR open up a bag of chips...both work fine. Put tortilla chips on the bottom of the bowl, pour soup into bowls and top with cheese, red onion, more chips, jalapenos, lime wedges if you feel like it...again, I didn't have time for the additional toppings and it was still really, really good.

Always serve with a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment